Barry, from Stanford, CA, is an energetic, effective, innovative leader.
Here’s the set of 4 I currently use in my life. There is significant overlap in my wording and form with the HSD Institute’s – which I recognize and appreciate. They not only work for me but there are certain words, like “Attend,” where I first resisted the word and then came to understand it well enough to recognize its deeper values.
The items under the four are statements I use to help me explore the rule in various circumstances.
- Attend to self, husband, family, community.
- What is most important to you right now?
- How do you think I would do it or want it to go?
- Do what needs doing.
- If there was something you needed done, what would it be?
- Be quiet. Be open-minded. Be present. Be available. Be willing to ask, hear, and do.
- Love and play well.
- Search for the true and the useful.
- What, So What, Now What?
- Four Truths.
- Five Why’s– embrace my inner two year old.
- Ensure the obvious is known.
- “TRIZ” — a method in engineering for driving innovation.
- Give and get value for value.
- Does it tie into passion? Inspiring?
- Can I make a difference?
- Will I learn something?
- Can I ‘measure’ and improve?
- Have a mentor; be a mentor.
- Satisfy the hunger.