I am a literacy teacher and work mostly with high school students and teachers. Along with colleagues we have developed a list of simple rules for “generative learning” — teaching and learning that is sensitive, responsive, adaptive, and robust! It’s a pretty long list, but even if we could just focus on 3-4 of them, we think we could make a big difference in schools.
Here they are:
- Teach and learn in every interaction.
- Pay attention to the whole, the part, and the greater whole.
- See, understand, and influence patterns.
- Build on individual, social, and cultural assets.
- Seek the true and the useful.
- Be curious, embrace uncertainty, and act with courage.
- Engage in joyful practice.