I have extensive experience working with management and labor, particularly within the Public Education sector. As an organizational development expert, I specialize in negotiations and HR systems.
I believe these to be generic Simple Rules for Negotiations (which are always fraught with conflict):
1. Look for interests, not positions.
2. Always plan at least three steps ahead.
3. Look for ways to say yes.
4. When in doubt, ask a question to explore. When certain, ask a question to verify.
5. Envision a solution that meets the needs of all parties.
6. Focus equally on building relationships and resolving issues.
Some of these are based on Getting to Yes; some originate from basic communication skills. Thanks!